Friday, December 11, 2009

October at a Glance

Happy Birthday New Bridge!

We started October by celebrating our church's tenth anniversary! It was also right around our one year anniversary of finding New Bridge...so it was appropriate! :}

The party was also a chili cook-off. I entered my white chili, which is a tweaked version of my aunt Denise's fabulous white chili. I haven't changed the ingredients much, but just enough that I can now call it my recipe - I didn't win any of the categories, but my batch came out yummy and it was a lot of fun.

We had Travis and Jackson with us - every time they come to our church there's something fun going on...they must think we have a party every Sunday! :} Well....I guess we do have a praise party every Sunday.

Anyway, part of the cook-off was a competition between the admin team and the worship team. They started with a perfectly safe and innocent pot of chili...then went crazy. The idea was to add a small amount of Dave's Insanity Sauce to the pot, everyone tastes, add more, everyone tastes...until there are members of only one team left. By the end, the last couple of brave (insane?) souls were sweating and beet red. Poor Pastor looked like he was going to pass out, but there was no way he was giving in. I guess it's nice to know that my Pastor is so...um...tenacious!


Happy Birthday, Houston!

My hubby turned 39 on the 17th so we had to go live it up for his last year before he heads down the hill! As far as he knew we were heading to the Barbecue Inn for a couple of drinks and songs with the neighbors and a couple of friends. He didn't know I'd also invited the whole family...both sides! We took over the place (seriously - almost every table in the place) and had a great time!
Ann had decorated for us and just about every time the front door opened, it was someone coming to wish him a happy birthday. I love you, babe!

Side note: I forgot my camera for both of the above events and the pics I was able to get on my cell phone look like kaka....dang it!!


Pumpkin Patch

We didn't grow any pumpkins this year, so we headed to our local pumpkin patch to get all of them. (Last year we grew two pumpkins for the boys and just had to buy them for Mama and Daddy.) This was our first time at this pumpkin patch, but it certainly won't be our last!!

There was so much to do and see and eat that we ended up going twice - once to do the corn cob cannon and the corn maze, then again the next day to go on the hay ride, animal train ride, pick pumpkins, do the hay maze, have lunch, and shop the gift store! There was more to do, but we were ready to call it a day!

Day 1 - exploring and the corn maze




Day 2 - everything else! (I'll explain the chicken suit later)



Every year since Joey was three, I have a gotten a "How tall this fall" pic. When Houston brought up last year's picture on the computer, I couldn't believe the difference in the boys...especially Joey! He's turning into a teenager right before our eyes. :(

Posted by Picasa


Music to Our Ears

Joey's first middle school orchestra concert was held at the high school in one of their beautiful auditoriums. The sound was great and he played beautifully...of course!

Posted by Picasa

Carvin' Punkins

We had a great time carving pumpkins! Joey is finally on his own (even cleaning it) and Tucker gets to draw his face and then I cut it out. We got to see Arden help create her first pumpkin and Houston even got into the action this year! My favorite part is always sifting through the guts for seeds...I honestly love the squishiness!!

Posted by Picasa


Trick or Treat!

Of course, the festivities ended with the usual round of trick or treating. We head across the road to the development of sardine houses (you know, cookie cutter houses crammed in to half the space they should be) and head up one side of the main street and down the other. The kids are usually done and have a full bag by the time we get back to the car.

Joey was a zombie football player and Tucker was a firechicken. Yes...a firechicken. I had asked him a few weeks before Halloween what he wanted to be and this is how the conversation went:

Mama: Tucker, what do you want to be for Halloween? (Not really expecting an answer since he's two!)
Tucker: (Tilts head to think.) I know! A firechicken!
Mama: (Laughing) What's a firechicken?!
Tucker: (Palms out to show his disdain for my ignorance.) A chicken for drive the firetruck!

He was the cutest firechicken ever! (Maybe the only one, too!)

Posted by Picasa

Joey's buddy, Brian, came with us and then we all went out for pizza after loading up on candy. It was so much fun!

No comments: